Monday, July 25, 2011

Mushroom

Canon EOS Rebel T2i, 100 mm 2.8 macro, 2.8 aperture, 1/4000 shutter, 100 ISO

I have not been satisfied with where I sit in my faith lately. I have let myself "get too busy" or too lazy. I have procrastinated, and convinced myself that I would be better about quiet time and prayer and reading later. And by far the worst habit I have is the longer I put it off, the more I feel bad about putting off God and it takes me even LONGER to return to Him out of guilt. You would think this would be all the more reason to run to Him, but that's what Satan does to a heart... the guilt soon mushrooms out of control. I know we all have seasons like this, but I want to find the discipline in me to fight these seasons away.


One thing I KNOW about my God is that when I turn to Him and really surrender and seek Him, my faith also mushrooms faster and greater. This fact is what keeps me searching for that discipline to just sink into the Word like I know I'm supposed to. It's not easy. Life certainly gets in the way.


Ironically, a mushroom can take the shape of an umbrella, which is how I like to picture God's protection. Sometimes, I find myself walking outside of the umbrella, and, like an idiot, wonder why I'm getting drenched. But, as I remembered recently, all I have to do is walk right back under it. He will cover, guide, and protect me. He never promised there wouldn't be storms, but He did promise that He'd lead me through them.

I am ready to get out of the rain.

"...'Return to me, and I will return to you,' says the LORD Almighty."
-Malachi 3:7

"I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands."
-Psalm 119:10

1 comment:

  1. Loving the blog... I have realized recently that on Sunday mornings life is scheduled AROUND church. Nothing else interferes. Maybe our quiet time should be the same way.

    ReplyDelete