Sunday, July 10, 2011

Upside Down World

Canon EOS Rebel T2i, 100 mm 2.8 macro, 4.0 aperture, 1/160 shutter, 1600 ISO

Yet another "social insect" that fascinates me... who even knows what this ant is thinking as he sits on his own little world, upside down. Maybe he is escaping, much like I would if I was surrounded by thousands all the time. Or maybe he is on a mission. A worker as diligent as an ant, I would imagine it is the latter of the two.

Among the fascination and respect I have for the ant, I also have fear. I am allergic to ants, so I try to be very aware of the area around me when I am outside, so as not to "upset" a colony (or even just one or two of those little guys). Crazy how something as tiny as a piece of dirt can cause such a huge reaction in my body. But then, when I think about what the ant must be thinking as a shoe casts a shadow over its home and threatens to bring itself down, unknowingly, into the midst of hundreds of thousands of workers protecting their queen... I'd be ready to bite, too! In fact, in my own way, maybe I do. There are times in my own life where I feel like others are "stomping" on my world... and I wonder, what kind of pain or poison have I "injected" into others...?

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
- John 16:33

No comments:

Post a Comment